Residential Yard Waste / Vegetation
Residential yard waste and vegetation is collected one (1) time per week.
Yard waste refers to debris from routine residential yard maintenance only. Debris from land clearing or tree removal is not eligible to be collected at the curb. Each week, a maximum of one (1) 6 cubic yard pile of yard waste is collected.
To avoid service interruption:
- Make sure pile does not exceed one (1) 6 cubic yard pile.
- Keep it separate from other debris and free of dirt or sand.
- Place loose vegetation like leaves, tree and hedge trimmings, pine needles, etc. in a container such as a paper bag or garbage can
- Cut branches into pieces that are no more than 6 feet long, 6 inches in diameter, and weigh no more than 50 pounds each. Palm fronds can be any length.
- Neatly stack tree branches and palm fronds in a pile that does not exceed 6 cubic yards.
Yard waste that exceed one (1) 6 cubic yard pile will not be serviced. They will be tagged and it will be the residents' responsibility to arrange for removal, either by hauling it to a permitted disposal facility, making arrangements with a private hauler, or contacting the SWA for a removal estimate based on a contract rate of $8 per cubic yard. Once paid, the yard waste will be removed within 72 hours. Note: Coconuts are not yard waste and must be placed in your garbage cart.
Yard Waste Ordinance
Palm Beach County ordinance states that yard waste piles that exceed the maximum 6 cubic yard weekly limit or those that are non-conforming to the previously listed regulations will have no portion of the pile serviced and the property owner will be responsible for its removal. Such piles will be tagged and must be removed within 30 days of original tag to avoid further action or financial penalties.
Yard Waste Not Collected?
Your waste hauler is not required to collect any debris that does not meet the above guidelines. If your debris does not meet guidelines and is not collected you may do one of the following:
- Correct the debris to meet required collection guidelines. Once corrected it will be picked up on your next scheduled service day or:
- Pay your current waste hauler a contracted special service fee of $8 per cubic yard to collect as is.
- Contact any other private hauler for their collection rate.
- Transport the material directly to disposal facility or to the SWA’s Customer Convenience Drop-Off Center located at 6330 North Jog Road in West Palm Beach (west of the Turnpike, between 45th Street and the Beeline Highway). If you elect to transport the material to the landfill please be aware you will be charged for the disposal cost and cash is required.
Also note that SWA does not assess vacant lots therefore they do not receive collection service. Only lots with an assessed residential structure on them are entitled to receive collection service.