What do I need to know about the Solid Waste Authority’s new Renewable Energy Facility 2?
Renewable Energy Facility 2 will be the cleanest, most advanced facility of its kind ever built, and certainly the cleanest solid waste disposal facility in the nation!
Return to FAQs
- Will be the first new Waste-to-Energy facility built in the United States in 20 years
- Will be able to process 3,000 tons of material per day, or 1 million tons of material per year that is currently being delivered to the landfill directly across the street
- Will use mass burn technology to reduce the volume of waste going to the landfill by more than 90%
- Will be able to produce enough energy to supply power to an estimated 40,000 homes, and will be sold to Florida Power and Light Company for that purpose
- Will extend the life of the existing landfill to the year 2046
- Will incorporate technological advancements in combustion management and air pollution control systems, such as Selective Catalytic Reduction technology for NOx (nitrogen oxides) control:
- NOx emissions will be 50% less on an annual limit basis and 67% less on an hourly basis than the Environmental Protections Agency’s (EPA) Maximum Achievable Control Technology standard
- Will require no increase in water consumption on the site above the potable water needed for the restrooms and kitchens, and will conserve water through:
- Using an Air Cooled Condenser
- Harvesting rainwater from the roofs
- Extensive use of recycled wastewater
- Will include a LEED Platinum Education Center incorporating numerous advancements in sustainable building practices