The Solid Waste Authority of Palm Beach County is looking for educators interested in a one-week immersive experience centered on solid waste issues and techniques with tools that can be taken back to the classroom. During this week, participants will take behind-the-scenes tours of various solid waste facilities and participate in education workshops. Behind-the-scenes tours of the SWA facilities include: a transfer station, Renewable Energy Facility 2, Recovered Materials Processing Facility (Recycling), the SWA Greenway Trail System, and a Home Chemical and Recycling Center.
After all participants learn about AWAY, they will receive a certificate and various books/guides filled with lessons and activities that meet many national and state education standards.
The cost to participate in the program is an old, broken electronic device that will be recycled through our electronic recycling program.
|Be a local Palm Beach County Educator (3rd grade or above)|
|Teach in the subject areas of science, technology, engineering or math|
How To Apply
Applicants will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served.
- Complete the online application by July 14, 2023.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive further information.
This program is only available for 25 participants.
At the end of the program, teachers will receive:
- Opportunities for in-service points.
- PLT education books (e-books) including Municipal Solid Waste and Explore Your Environment K-8 Activity Guide.
- Project WILD materials, including the Flying WILD book and activity guide.
- Certificate of completion
- and more.