The Solid Waste Authority (SWA) of Palm Beach County is looking for students to participate in a one-week Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and ReThink (4R) adventure into the world of waste. This year’s program will take place June 5-9. During this week, students will engage in hands-on activities and labs focusing on the environment from an integrated solid waste management perspective.
After students learn about the concept of AWAY, they’ll graduate as official SWA 4R Ambassadors. With this credential, they’re encouraged to teach their family and friends about how their waste can affect our environment. They'll also be able to explain how individuals can Recycle Right, and be mindful of their day-to-day choices and actions to reduce, reuse and rethink their waste.
Students will go behind-the-scenes at all SWA facilities, including:
- a Home Chemical and Recycling Center
- the Landfill
- the Recovered Materials Processing (recycling) Facility
- Renewable Energy Facility 2 (the cleanest, greenest, most efficient waste-to-energy plant in the world!)
- a Transfer Station
- the SWA Greenway Trail System (300 acres of natural area with six miles of trails)
Students will also visit the Authority’s community partners, which include Resource Depot, Loxahatchee River District and Grassy Waters Preserve.
Students interested in the 4R Ambassador Summer Program should meet the following criteria:
- Completed grades 6, 7 or 8
- Membership in a school club (Environmental, SECME, Garden, etc.)
- Science teacher’s recommendation in the form of a letter
The cost to participate in the 4R Ambassador Summer Program is an old electronic device, which will be recycled.
How to Apply:
Applicants will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Call 561-640-8949 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete an application.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 19, 2023
Participants will find out if they qualify before the program begins.
For more information, visit swa.org/4r.