What should I do if my waste is not picked up at the curb?

The Solid Waste Authority of Palm Beach County provides garbage and recycling collection for the residents and businesses of unincorporated Palm Beach County. The SWA provides this service using contract haulers. The County is divided into Service Areas, each of which is awarded to an individual hauler that has the exclusive right to provide service in accordance with the Service Guidelines in their contract.


Your service is our primary concern. That is why the SWA has a team of Customer Information Service Area Coordinators and Customer Service Representatives ready to assist you with service quality issues and to answer your questions.

If you live in unincorporated Palm Beach County and have a collection problem or concern, you can contact Customer Information Services at 561-697-2700, or toll-free from southern and western Palm Beach County at 866-SWA-INFO (866-792-4636). You can also contact us online.

If you live in a municipality, please contact your city. As a courtesy, we have compiled a list of municipal contacts.

Show All Answers

1. What should I do if my waste is not picked up at the curb?
2. How do I contact the SWA's Public Records Custodian?
3. What are public records?
4. How can I request a public record?
5. Are there fees involved in getting records?
6. When will I get the records?
7. Where can I find more information about public records?
8. What is the policy regarding email communication and public records requests?